WELCOME TO THE VIRTUAL ROOM OF RED BALLOON!

You may have noticed I am not in the English room today!
For the next few weeks I will exist in a little box on your computer screen. Until we can teleport Harry Potter style this could be the next best thing...

South Africa is such a diverse and interesting place to explore there is much to be discovered: culture, music, food, wildlife, history and politics. It is going to be an exciting time and I will no doubt learn from your technology tips too! So here we go...

Friday, January 15, 2010

CHRISTINE'S SOUTH AFRICA CHALLENGE

A challenge.: go to rorkesdriftvc.com and find details of my relative who was awarded the Victoria Cross in the famous battle with the Zulus.
A clue - he was awarded the VC under a false name - he enlisted under the name of John Williams so that his mother did not know he was in the army - but his real name was John Fielding - he even has a pub named after him in the Welsh town of Cwmbran which is where my father was born. My Great Grandmother was known by my Father as Granny Fielding - she was the sister in law of John Fielding .
If you have seen the film there is no truth in the myth that they all sang Welsh songs ,such as Men of Harlech , to repel the Zulus [ but I and Rick can sing it - we will record it for your blog - just a joke !!! ]
- Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment